January 31, 2007

Day 301: The countdown is on

So, I realized that as of today there are only 34 days until I return to work. Suddenly my maternity leave seems like it was very short. I kind of feel like the system needs to be revamped. Because, seriously, the first 5 months pretty much stank. Then we had about 3 months of transition. But for the past couple of months we've been sailing. It's actually - gasp! - kind of fun. You know, apart from the screaming and housework and teething and poopy diapers and nap strikes. But now just as we've found our groove I have to go back to work. It really doesn't seem fair. And so, I propose that someone else - possibly Super Nanny? - take over for the first 5 months, then I'll step in.

I must admit, though, sad as I am to leave Maddie, it could be that the timing is actually perfect. Truth be told, I'm running out of things to do. You can only shake a prescription pill bottle so many times before the allure starts to wear thin, you know what I mean? I try to spice things up every once in a while, but so far without great success. The art gallery trip a couple of months back was met with confusion, and piercing screams that forced us to leave early. Turns out she's not a big fan of traditional Haida art. Who knew? Just this week Maddie and I ventured out to the aquarium. She endured it, but only in exchange for basically an entire bag of Goldfish crackers. While wandering past the jellyfish tank I commented to her on the irony of her eating Goldfish crackers while at the aquarium. She ignored me. In all, I'm not sure it was worth the $18.50 admission.

Knowing that my stint as a SAHM (stay at home mom) is coming to an end is definitely making me enjoy the days more. When you know that each and every day is going to be the same indefinitely it can get a bit suffocating. But realizing that these days together are numbered helps me to really treasure them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anne Marie said...

Thanks for all your honesty and inspiration throughout, Carolyn. Funny enough, I'm still looking forward to my new adventure!

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home