May 03, 2007

Day 397: Memories...

There are things about this past year that I would like to forget, I admit. But a friend recently sent me something that made me realize that pretty soon I will have forgotten a lot of it, and that with the bad stuff will go the good. In 2 years, 5 years, 50 years, here in no particular order are some things I want to remember:

1. Peeking through the crack of her bedroom door and catching her wake up from a good sleep. Sitting up, rubbing her little fists into her eyes, shaking off the sleepy cobwebs.
2. The huge grin when she hears the first notes to a favourite song.
3. Watching her eat peanut butter on toast - face first into the peanut butter.
4. The post-bath towel time ritual she shares with her Daddy, him wrapping her tight in her hooded towel and flying her around the house like superwoman while she squeals and giggles.
5. Tickle spots: chin, armpits, chubby thighs.
6.The great women and friends I have met just by having a baby.
7. Her little body tucked into the crook of my arm, fast asleep.
8. That gummy little smile before all 8 of her teeth appeared.
9. Having her. Already that memory is fading. I guess that's why women end up agreeing to have another one! But she might be my only one, so I want to remember those hours, the last before I became a mom. I want to remember seeing her for the first time.
10. Blowing raspberries for hours.
11. Her first piece of chocolate cake.
12. Up-the-back poops. I don't know why I want to remember these, but I do. Seriously, how does it happen??
13. Peek-a-boo, because I know the surprise won't last forever.
14. Being her favourite person in the world. Before boys and best friends.
15. Kisses. Big, wet, open-mouth, head-butt kisses.
16. Her crazy, comb-over, mullet hair. I hate it, I love it.
17. Our first lunch date. Just Mads, me, a patio and a glass of wine.
18. When she was brand new, knowing that nothing had scared her yet, nothing had hurt her, nothing had worried her, nothing had broken her heart.
19. The first time I felt like maybe I knew what I was doing. And the second time, too.
20. Looking at her and knowing that whatever else happens in our lives, we've done something really good.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger MadHousewife said...

That really made me cry!! I love catching up on your blog. It takes me away!! lol I swear if you ever get to write a book ( i love chick-lit) Make sure to post it on the boards because I will surely be in line to buy it!! Keep writing girl!
*Candace*

4:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Hey Car!

I had a chance FINALLY to read some of you blog. This one was great! With some of them I said yeah I want to remember that about Jakbo also! Thanks for sharing. I think this is something you need to print off and give to Maddie on her wedding day so she can someday remember the same things about her child.

Carrie aka CR

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home